Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Wanted: the Spirit of Christmas

This was first posted on Jan 02, 2007:


My apologies that this post came a little bit too late for its 2007 already. Wishing a happy and prosperous new year to us all. In this crazy and busy world that we live in, time does fly. I haven't even really felt the Christmas season and the next thing I knew, it has already come and gone.

Last week, as I was walking through the halls of a building, christmas decors lined the hallway, throughout the stairs, complete with the christmas lights and all. If that scene happened about 15 to 20 years ago, I'd be a really happy kid. Couple that sight with Christmas songs played over the radio, or hearing choirs or carolers sing their hearts out with their own rendition of the said songs, would really really make my day. Knowing that this is a celebration of baby Jesus's coming into this world, and also of my birthday :p (can't wait to open my gifts during those times). I also remember the times when I waited (trying really hard to stay awake) for Santa to arrive and place our gifts on the stockings that were hung on the window (imagine my dismay and curiosity when I saw the boxes of "Santa's" gifts in the pile of garbage waiting to be burnt).

But as I grew older, the feeling was not just quite the same. This season's luster has really diminished over the years. And has been really just considered as ordinary non-working holidays over the past couple of years.

Has living one's life changed our perception of Christmas? Truth is that as we grew older and getting more matured, we also lost our innocence. That innocence is what defined us as children. We did gain knowledge, wisdom, and other positive stuff as we grew older, but together with that, we also gained cynicism, pessimism, and we now see the imperfections that this world offers. Maybe that is just the law of checks and balances coming into form. We are now pre-occupied on trying to stay alive in this world, not that its a bad thing to be alive, but we are now primarily focused on the material and physical stuff. Choosing to party, spending money on booze and stuff, instead of spending time with your family. Trying to one-up each other in this rat race. But are those the only ones that constitute happiness? I don't think so. I, for one, could now treat myself to some stuff this Christmas that I was not able to have when I was younger. But am I happy? Hmmm. Let me put it this way, if I were, the title would definitely not be me trying to find the "spirit of Christmas" back.

Another thing that I have really recognized as I got to be more "independent" the past couple of years is how much I miss my family. Surely, there would be no sermons, no "do-this-and-don't-do-that" speeches, no curfews whatsoever (this I really appreciate though), but still being with one's family is really really important to me, especially during this Christmas season. And how I wished I went home. Still nothing beats spending special occassions with those that have been special to you throughout the years.

If anyone might see the spirit of Christmas lurking around somewhere, would you say to it that I want its company back? The same being that accompanied me through the hours of waiting for Santa to come by. The one who helped me blow the candles off of my birthday cake. The one who made me appreciate the simple songs sung by carolers; the simple Christmas tree we assembled in our house during this time of year; the simple decors and lights that adorned our house; and the simple food that our mother prepared for our noche buena; and the simple celebration that our family partook during those years of yore. I want to have its presence back to remind and instill in me the innocence of being a child, the simple joys, to help me forget the struggles that we have been encountering in this imperfect and crazy world...... even for just a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment